Sunday 19 December 2010

Kransekake

lol, the page where i found this,
takes  $125 for a cake!

Today is a day for first times. I'm going to bake a traditional cake from Norway. Kransekake! I have never made it completely on my own before. I have only helped when mom and dad had this huge project of baking x-amount of these cakes to my schools christmas market. And since the almonds have to be ground by hand grinder to get the consistency perfect, you bet the whole family had to take turns.
The cake is basically (almost)just ground up almonds and powdered sugar, but its fantastically marvelous, and it brings Norwegian christmas a little bit closer to me, as I can't go to Norway this year to celebrate christmas.

I don't have those ring-shaped baking forms that makes the tower so much easyer to build, so I'm going to invent a litlle bit on the way.

Here is todays recipe, translated from DinMat.no


500g ground almonds
500g powdered sugar
4 egg whites


Mix all ingredients well to a smooth dough, and bake them out to long "sausages", about 1,5 cm thick. Shape as rings into special baking tins made for this purpose.
Bake at 170C in the ovens lowest rack, for 13-14 minutes.
Kransekake tastes even better when it has been frozen, then it gets its lovely chewyness that is slightly sticky. But it is also very good directly after its made.
Cornucopia, "the horn of abundance"
overflødighetshorn.


Lets see what I invent for doing with the shaping.



I remember that, when I was a kid, I had several years in a row the wanting that our "kransekake" should be shaped as a greek cornucopia, filled to the rim with candies and marzipan. I think I had gotten the idea from some magazine page or something. But oddly enough, we never made this.

3 comments:

  1. Så kult! Håper vi får se bilde av kaken du har laget også når du er ferdig!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kanskje du kan lage et overflødighetshorn til denne jula?
    I så fall må du legge inn et bilde av den. Eller av tårnkaka hvis det blir det for den saks skyld.

    Skiftet bakgrunn?

    ReplyDelete