Sunday 11 December 2011

11. December

When I wrote " 'nuff said" under the ring photo of 10th Christmas calendar day, I lied. I do want to say something else about our engagement.
Janne had really put effort into this day. It was luxury and lovely and total win. First we went to a packed movie theater, where we watched "Tower heist". Quite funny movie I think and fitting little hint for what was to happen later. After we had dinner in a very classy seafood restaurant (and believe me, these are hard to find in Finland. The ones that can really do the fish and from fresh ingredients!). Rivoli. If ever in Helsinki, try it! It's like walking into another dimension or timeline. The world of rain and modern stuff is left at the door, where you will be served as a VIP from the first moment.

Janne had snails for apertizer, where I had green salad with parmesan slices. I tried one of the snails, despite my moment of almost freaking, I mean... it IS snails we are talking about! Slugs! But it was quite good, texture almost like mushrooms, with good marinade.
I had eaten almost a bag of licorice in the movie before and felt a bit sticky and full... so the salads vinaigrette was a good help for what were to come for the rest of the meal. It woke up the appetite, exactly as starters are supposed to do, haha.
I had Alaskan king crab! It was extremely good, and also very hard not to start playing with the food, because of the big claw and the amount of tools that I had in front of me. I have never eaten this before yesterday, and found it well worth the try! Texture more like meat than fish or other crustaceans, and a rich but mild taste. I didn't even use the provided dill butter much (and I usually eat much sauce and dressings and the like).
For dessert a fantastic masterpiece of raspberry creme bruleè with hand made raspberry ice cream, which really gave this übersweet dessert the acidity and freshness that lifted it to the maximum.
The staff in this place was supreme professionals. I have rarely seen waitresses that are 50-60 years old, PLUS being a complete pro and following all the rules and laws of serving others. Much appreciation from us!

Well out in the real world again, where the rain and wind had ceased, Janne asked if we should go for a glass of wine together, before we left town. Sure, sounds great, I agreed. After some hundred meters of walking, Janne pointing out all of the other restaurants he was thinking about or actually having a table reservation at, just in case, he told me he had a surprise. And if I wanted to know it now or later. The surprise was huge. The glass of wine that we were going to take was waiting for us in a hotel suite that was reserved for us in Hotelli Torni (= hoel tower. Big attraction hotel in the centre of Helsinki, the one that always blinks like glitter in the top spire).... I couldn't really believe it at first. But there we were. Mini suite and the wine tested, me giggling because of the surprise and because Janne had fixed with essential needs of over night stuff, there was one surprise more, he said. Kneeling with velvet box in hand, although I had my suspicions already, I'm happy it was true!

I have been proposed to in the classic romantic fashion, and I loved it! Nobody has ever done such an effort and romantics for me. *love*
It became a little novel, but so be it. 10.12.11 is going to be remembered as the day where cheeks got cramps for all the smiling and laughing, and because of my beautiful fiance.

Oh and my phone died of battery-loss in a very timely fashion, but got some poor-quality restaurant pictures to share!

2 comments:

  1. Åååh, så romantisk! Det høres ut som en fantastisk kveld, og en veldig fin måte å bli fridd til på :) Håper det blir bryllupp, for jeg har VELDIG lyst til å komme :D hehe klem, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vi fuderer på saken, mest i form av arrangemanget =) så du kan regne deg som invitert=)=)og audun også såklart

    ReplyDelete